Friday, November 13, 2015

Friday 13th

Hello,
You need to be careful today because it is Friday, 13th. In most countries, it is Friday, 13th (and not Tuesday, 13th) that brings bad luck. But what are the origins of this terrible day ?
On Friday, 13th, 1307, a group of knights from the Templar Order were hanged and they didn't say where their treasure was hidden. There were 13 steps to the noose. From that day on, bad luck for everyone.
Besides, on Friday, 13th, a computer virus affected a lot of computers in Great Britain, so it is not advisable to use computers on this day.

Bad things associated to Fridays
- Jesus Christ was crucified on Friday.
- Adam and Eve ate the forbidden apple on Friday and they died on Friday.
- In Medieval times, people and criminals were hanged on Fridays.
- It is bad luck to start something on Friday and to have a haircut that day.

Bad things associated to number 13
- Number of people in the Last Supper.
- In tarot, this is associated to death.
- Chapter 13 in the Apocalypse is linked to the Antichrist and the Beast.

Bad luck bearers

a) Walk under a ladder                      b) Black cats and bats
   

c) Break a mirror                            d) Opening an umbrella indoors
    

e) Hats on the bed                                 f) Shoes on the table
   

Good luck charms
1. Rabbit feet                                                 2. Horseshoes 
         

3.Ladybirds / ladybugs                          4. Four-leaf clovers
     
5. Finding a penny                                  6. Red underpants
              

Did you learn something about Friday, 13th ? Post a comment and tell me how your day went. Did you have any accidents or problems with computers ? What is your favourite good luck charm or bad luck bearer ? Post your comments.

16 comments:

  1. Sara: I haven´t got a bad day yesterday. I´m not superstitious so I haven´t got any good luck charms and any bad luck bearers.My family are supertitious, for example, my mother always have got a four-leaf clovers in her wallet and my father never open an umbrella indoors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand you, Sara. I'm not superstitious but my parents are, hehe, and my grandparents

      Delete
  2. Adrián García: Yesterday I did not have a bad day ,my lucky charm is a ring Pirates of the Caribbean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Javier: i have got bad luck becouse i have a lot of problems yesterday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael : What happened, Javier ? What were your problems ? By the way, 'pez globo' is pufferfish or blow fish in English

      Delete
  4. Raul: I haven't got a bad day the friday .My lucky charm is red udnderpants

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite luck charm is the ladybug and my bad luck bearer shoes on the table

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose you never put your feet on the table while you lie on the sofa, David...

      Delete
  6. Silvia G: I haven't got a bad day the friday but I'm a bit scared because I was born in a thirteen, and for what I see thirteen it is the number of the bad luck. Like Sara, i don't have any good luck charms and any bad luck bearers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I told you, thirteen has brought me nothing but luck, so you can relax, hehe

      Delete
  7. Michael : Come on students, keep commenting !

    ReplyDelete
  8. David R.S:I like Friday the 13th for an afternoon playing in a park I found a four-leaf clover
    Bad luck bearers is Break a mirror

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing, David. I really appreciate your comment. At last you could comment on the blog ! Congratulations

      Delete
  9. Silvia F.I don't have a bad day and I don't have any good luck charms and any bad luck bearers.

    ReplyDelete